OpenCL - GPU client and MacOS X?!

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

gwildperson

Re: OpenCL - GPU client and MacOS X?!

Post by gwildperson »

Ivoshiee wrote:OpenCL for non-MAC is coming
OK, but is FAH going to have an OpenCL version, and if so, will it be useful for the types of hardware being described above? Susato's point is that the GPUs mentioned are about the slowest GPUs that could possibly be supported. Whether they're on Mac or on some other platform, there would be some people who would try to use them in spite of their very limited value to the FAH project (and that's assuming that they can actually meet the deadlines).

PS. I think you mean Mac as in Macintosh, rather than MAC as in Layer 2 of TCP/IP.
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Re: OpenCL - GPU client and MacOS X?!

Post by Ivoshiee »

gwildperson wrote:
Ivoshiee wrote:OpenCL for non-MAC is coming
OK, but is FAH going to have an OpenCL version, and if so, will it be useful for the types of hardware being described above? Susato's point is that the GPUs mentioned are about the slowest GPUs that could possibly be supported. Whether they're on Mac or on some other platform, there would be some people who would try to use them in spite of their very limited value to the FAH project (and that's assuming that they can actually meet the deadlines).

PS. I think you mean Mac as in Macintosh, rather than MAC as in Layer 2 of TCP/IP.
Of course I mean MAC as Macintosh.

It is relatively natural to think that FAH will transit to OpenCL (at least GPU versions of the FAH client) when time is ready - it will decrease build complexity a lot. More platforms will get supported out of box with much less design and programming. The HW issue is not a issue as OpenCL is supposed to be future compatible. We'll see if it does or does not bear fruit. Until there is no FAH client for OpenCL, it is still a speculation.