alancabler OK? [yes]

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

Lgringo

alancabler OK? [yes]

Post by Lgringo »

Is alancabler OK? He used to have beaucoup posts on the old forum, but he hasn't posted here since circa Christmas. Hopefully he's just meditating on a mountaintop in Hawaii or Oklahoma or someplace.
sortofageek
Site Admin

Re: alancabler OK?

Post by sortofageek »

I was wondering about him myself. I echo your thoughts, sure hope he is ok.
Lgringo

Post by Lgringo »

http://www.dslreports.com/profile/1475333
sez:

:-[
Lgringo

Post by Lgringo »

however his profile here says:
Last visited: 12 Jan 2008, 05:49
so maybe the rotten old fossil is just laying low .....
theMASS
Hardware configuration: 8 - Q6600s (mixed steppings) average clock speed 3.3GHz
1 - E6420 @ 3.2GHz (This box is bulletproof - Stable for over a year) Avg 2250/PPD
1 - E6600 @ Stock (The only Intel chip in the last 2 years that "only" ran stock)
P35 and G33 based Gigabyte motherboards
Dedicated boxes run Notfred's Linux
Production boxes run Vista and XP Pro with Linux SMP running in a VM

Post by theMASS »

So strange... I was wondering about this last night. On the other hand I kinda "checked out" for a month and I'm still here... so let's hope for the best :!:

EDIT: The last PM I received from him was Dec 6, 07 :|
Lgringo

Post by Lgringo »

I think he folds as rasterhead
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/mai ... Rasterhead

Rasterhead stats have shown 4 cpu's for a long time, but very recently dropped to 3 ....
alancabler

Post by alancabler »

Howdy folks,
I've just been extremely busy... spending spare time pickin' pecans (or something) to help buy a new rig 'cause my teammate Lgringo is about to run over me, with a whole herd right on his heels.

I did lose my fastest machine during the big Oklahoma ice-storm power surges in December, but have cobbled together a PIII-800 from a box o' parts to help out a (very) little bit and give me 4 rigs again.

Bless you all!
Facts are not truth. Facts are merely facets of the shining diamond of truth.
sortofageek
Site Admin

Post by sortofageek »

Yay, Alan is back. :D

I can empathize. A huge windstorm here in December 2006 and the resulting series of power events killed my folding farm at the time. I managed to salvage one and have been gradually adding back. First I had to replace the furnace, though, as it bought the farm during that storm, too. :roll:
Mouseferatu

Post by Mouseferatu »

Glad to see that you are OK and in one piece, although I am sorry about your machine!

Bet that you will be back in great shape soon, though... sortofageek lost most of her machines in a power outage last year, but is back and jumping on our heads again now! :wink:
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crispy and good with catsup."
theMASS
1 - E6420 @ 3.2GHz (This box is bulletproof - Stable for over a year) Avg 2250/PPD
1 - E6600 @ Stock (The only Intel chip in the last 2 years that "only" ran stock)

Post by theMASS »

alancabler wrote:Howdy folks,
I've just been extremely busy... spending spare time pickin' pecans (or something) to help buy a new rig 'cause my teammate Lgringo is about to run over me, with a whole herd right on his heels.

I did lose my fastest machine during the big Oklahoma ice-storm power surges in December, but have cobbled together a PIII-800 from a box o' parts to help out a (very) little bit and give me 4 rigs again.

Bless you all!
Glad to hear that you're OK... and you may have started me from starting a new thread... I have some decent hardware that has been retired and while I would like to keep it folding, my electric bill is starting to look the GNP of a medium sized country. :) So I was going to ask what would be a good way to make sure that my donated hardware gets into the hands of people who will really use it to fold. So before I go "public" with the offer... I'd feel pretty good knowing that you were taking good care of them.

Here's a partial list of parts looking for a new home.
1 - D840
2 - P4 630's
4-5 965P motherboards
Assorted RAM @ various speeds (all DDR2)
Probably a few CD/DVD drives

Just need Power Supplies and notfred's folding CD and they are ready to fold.

If you want any/all of it PM me an address, I'll send em your way...

Welcome back...
Lgringo

Post by Lgringo »

alancabler wrote:Howdy folks,
I've just been extremely busy... spending spare time pickin' pecans .....
Welcome Back! I may even consider retracting the "rotten old fossil" label!

Pecans have good memories, as when I was a kid my great-aunt in Houston always used to send a large box from the trees in her backyard. They're even growing "northern" pecans way up there in Nebraska: http://ianrnews.unl.edu/static/0702280.shtml
thriftyj*

Post by thriftyj* »

As a part-time denizen of Nebraska City, Nebraska, Home of Arbor Day - I can vouch for the pecans and black walnuts (pray we don't have another ice storm!)

Utility bills keep me from folding on all my lesser pcs, as well. How did technology get cheaper than electricity? :(
Folding for cures.
theMASS

Post by theMASS »

thriftyj* wrote:Utility bills keep me from folding on all my lesser pcs, as well. How did technology get cheaper than electricity? :(

I've hit the vicious cycle point with the heat from the 20+ cores @ home, the Air Conditioner is killing me. and it's getting hard to explain why these "old" PC's keep moving to the office ;)
thriftyj*

Post by thriftyj* »

theMASS wrote:
thriftyj* wrote:Utility bills keep me from folding on all my lesser pcs, as well. How did technology get cheaper than electricity? :(

I've hit the vicious cycle point with the heat from the 20+ cores @ home, the Air Conditioner is killing me. and it's getting hard to explain why these "old" PC's keep moving to the office ;)
I have a huge generator installed for the brownouts - which are less of problem than the ice storms, believe it or not! :shock:
Folding for cures.
alancabler

Post by alancabler »

thriftyj* wrote: I have a huge generator installed for the brownouts - which are less of problem than the ice storms, believe it or not! :shock:
I believe you. Power surges up/down- lines shorting, being ripped apart, etc. I woke up during the worst of the storm to find lights flashing/dimming and my UPSs clicking on/off. My rigs were all protected, but still lost a CPU. Very strange failure- must have overheated some small CPU circuit because the machine starts to boot, then dies- works w/a lesser CPU, so mobo, etc. apparently OK.
Facts are not truth. Facts are merely facets of the shining diamond of truth.