linux and PPC based machines

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bobmanuk

linux and PPC based machines

Post by bobmanuk »

Hi all,

I have several macs which i am aiming to have dedicated to folding since my company doesnt want to use them any more, unfortunately the harddrives have been wiped, so i have the wonderful task of putting an OS back on them, I dont have the mac osx discs with me so i was wondering if, to the best of anyones knowledge, run a fah client on linux on a ppc machine, I have tried on several flavours of linux, and none recognise the mac client (understandable) and none actually start with the linux client (again understandable) if anyone has had any luck (and to my googling knowledge no one has) then could they point me in the right direction? i really want to get these machines folding.

thanks

Matty
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Re: linux and PPC based machines

Post by Ivoshiee »

There is no PPC FAH Linux clients. You can not run any of FAH client as long as there is no MAC OS X or x86 Linux emulation/support within PPC Linux.

If you are interested in DC computing on these computers then you'll have to pick some other project.
bobmanuk

Post by bobmanuk »

needless to say... bugger.

I guess im going to have to sucumb and obtain a copy of osx... which is a pain in the rear.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

I'm sure you can find second hand copies of 10.2-10.4. Not sure what the minimum requirements are for F@H OS-wise, but 10.2.8 definitely works.
The biggest difference between time and space is that you can't reuse time.
bobmanuk

Post by bobmanuk »

ok so i got mac installed... also got it on a dual core 2ghz g5 the problem now is i cant get it to go through the proxy, it just sits and says it cant obtain the client ID but the mac can get through it when using safari/IE
bruce

Post by bruce »

bobmanuk wrote:ok so i got mac installed... also got it on a dual core 2ghz g5 the problem now is i cant get it to go through the proxy, it just sits and says it cant obtain the client ID but the mac can get through it when using safari/IE
GUI or CLI client?

If CLI, restart the client with the -config flag. When it asks you if you have a proxy, say yes, and then enter the name of the proxy and the port on which you should connect. If your proxy has basic security, you'll need to enter the usernamd and password used to connect to the proxy.
bobmanuk

Post by bobmanuk »

used both, i know the fah client is configured for the proxy properly i checked it several times, i used the correct username and password proxy port and server name, maybe if i used the proxy IP instead?!?

thing is im not sure what the proxy is, sftware wise i mean, what about using a machine as a gateway. IE using a proxy to go through a proxy? something that these fah clients can connect to that wont require a username or password?

also how can i make sure that its using both cores? im not sure if the mac has a resource monitor like windows does.
bruce

Post by bruce »

bobmanuk wrote:used both, i know the fah client is configured for the proxy properly i checked it several times, i used the correct username and password proxy port and server name, maybe if i used the proxy IP instead?!?

thing is im not sure what the proxy is, sftware wise i mean, what about using a machine as a gateway. IE using a proxy to go through a proxy? something that these fah clients can connect to that wont require a username or password?

also how can i make sure that its using both cores? im not sure if the mac has a resource monitor like windows does.
A proxy is commonly used on business networks where they want to restrict access to the internet. If you're at home, it's unlikely that you'll have a proxy and you should say no to that configuration question.

The Intel-based Macs will use the SMP client which will make use of 2 or 4 cores. The PPC-based Macs will use the standard client which makes use of a single core. If you have a dual-PPC machine, you'll need to run a second CLI client.
bobmanuk

Post by bobmanuk »

im aware of what a proxy is and what it is supposed to do as i work for the company as an IT technician, i can run other (windows and linux) folding clients through the proxy no problem, its just the mac one thats playing games.
bruce

Post by bruce »

bobmanuk wrote:im aware of what a proxy is and what it is supposed to do as i work for the company as an IT technician, i can run other (windows and linux) folding clients through the proxy no problem, its just the mac one thats playing games.
Is it a proxy security issue? The FAH client only supports basic security (non-encoded passwords are sent across the LAN) and this has been an issue in some cases. There's a work-around for that problem for Windows clients but I don't know if it applies to other OSs.
bobmanuk

Post by bobmanuk »

not entirely sure what the problem is as i cant seem to find any entry in the proxy logs (not that theres much in the way of logging anyway) and the fah log isnt very helpful either...

it just says unable to get ID... so im guessing it just wont connect full stop... didnt have any mre luck using the IP address instead of the DNS name either :(
bruce

Post by bruce »

bobmanuk wrote:not entirely sure what the problem is as i cant seem to find any entry in the proxy logs (not that theres much in the way of logging anyway) and the fah log isnt very helpful either...

it just says unable to get ID... so im guessing it just wont connect full stop... didnt have any mre luck using the IP address instead of the DNS name either :(
The FAH client addresses the OS just like an alternate browser, and it gets the UserID from http://www.stanford.edu so it should have the exact same connection issues as opening http://www.stanford.edu in some 3rd party browser. . . provided you've configured that browser to recognize your proxy.
bobmanuk

Post by bobmanuk »

well the mac in question (dual core ppc) has both IE and safari on, both ask me (every single time) what are the login details even though i tell it to remember them, maybe this is the case, I remember having to set http_proxy on linux so i can use things through the command line to get access to the web, i have tried looking for this type of method on mac but i havent managed to get anywhere :(
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

System Preferences -> Network -> Ethernet/WiFi -> Advanced -> Proxies -> Web proxy. Of course, you have to specify the proxy settings separately for the folding client as it doesn't use the system information :roll:. I know you already tried that.
Since you're an IT pro and know what you're doing, try using curl(1) to access http://www.stanford.edu at ports 80 and 8080 and specify the proxy settings explicitely. Using its --trace flag will show you everything that's going on, including the proxy stuff.

If Safari is not remembering password settings, maybe you need to enable that feature? Perhaps something is wrong with your Keychain?

BTW, IE for Mac has been EOLed for a couple of years now. You may not want to keep that around...
The biggest difference between time and space is that you can't reuse time.
bobmanuk

Post by bobmanuk »

this machine hasnt been used for a while lol, i dont even know the root pass lol,

i am an it pro but never used a mac before, tbh rather irritating, but its all i can use to fold with since the only other things i have are thin clients :(

i will take a look in the system preferances section and see if that changes anything on monday :)

thankis