Ease of install?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

CrimsonEclipse

Ease of install?

Post by CrimsonEclipse »

The older, single core client was/is easy to install, click, team name, user name, fold fold fold.....

So why aren't ANY of the multi core and/or GPU programs easy to install?

Sure, it may be easy for you, and that's great, but there are so many people (including myself) want/need a click-and-forget setup.
These are the people who can't be bothered with a 20 point setup with binding and tweaks.

I don't know (care) what the difference between MPICH and DEINO are and shouldn't have to.

If you want the help of Joe six-pack, you have to make it easy to help.

CE
Foxery
Hardware configuration: Intel Core2 Quad Q9300 (Intel P35 chipset)
Radeon 3850, 512MB model (Catalyst 8.10)
Windows XP, SP2

Re: Ease of install?

Post by Foxery »

Core2 Quad/Q9300, Radeon 3850/512MB (WinXP SP2)
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

CrimsonEclipse wrote:The older, single core client was/is easy to install, click, team name, user name, fold fold fold.....

So why aren't ANY of the multi core and/or GPU programs easy to install?

Sure, it may be easy for you, and that's great, but there are so many people (including myself) want/need a click-and-forget setup.
These are the people who can't be bothered with a 20 point setup with binding and tweaks.

I don't know (care) what the difference between MPICH and DEINO are and shouldn't have to.

If you want the help of Joe six-pack, you have to make it easy to help.

CE
Yes, and that's why Stanford created a whole new section on the Project home page titled "Guides." It has easy to follow step by step install guides for each client type. And the slightly more difficult to install clients reward the contributor with more points, so that extra effort may be worth it.

And if Joe isn't up to the slightly more difficult "high performance" client installs, then one or more copies of the standard client still works very easily. Joe has lot's of choices to match his or her computing experience.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
CrimsonEclipse

Post by CrimsonEclipse »

Thank you for mising my point :(

Sigh....

The first comment on the link above was this:

"easier setup = more likely participants"

CE
jrweiss
Hardware configuration: Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; 32GB G-Skill Trident DDR4-3200; Samsung 860EVO 1TB Boot SSD; VelociRaptor 1TB; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver; BeQuiet FM 550 PSU; Lian Li PC-9F; Win11Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

[Suspended] Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI X570MPG, 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600; Corsair MP600 M.2 PCIe Gen4 Boot, Samsung 840EVO-250 SSDs; VelociRaptor 1TB, Raptor 150; MSI GTX 1050ti, 526.98 driver; Kingwin Stryker 500 PSU; Lian Li PC-K7B. Win10Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

Post by jrweiss »

Contrary to the inferences you expect us to draw from your "point," the Project is evolving, and the v6 CPU and GPU clients ARE easier to install!

We can now put preferences and command line switches in the config, so we don't have to mess with the Registry for Service installations.

The GPU 6.20 client is relatively straightforward. The console client even runs as a Service, so, once running, it is as "set & forget" as the CPU client.

Even though some veteran Folders decide to abandon the SMP client in favor of multiple CPU clients, I doubt the Project considers that a "loss", since the SMP client is still in beta and fewer WUs are abandoned. Since many of their servers are saturated, fewer losses === higher efficiency...
Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver
Ryzen 7 3700X; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver [Suspended]
Insidious

Post by Insidious »

I think F@H has made great strides in this area (ease of installation and use) in the last few weeks with the installation guides.

OK, so maybe it's actually been "two steps forward and one step back" with some of the recent releases, but I am hopeful that in the near future Dr. Pande and the F@H team will take on installation and user guides (but this time, ensuring detailed and accurate instructions, and no assumed or omitted steps) as A RESPONSIBILITY OF THE DEVELOPERS rather than resting on the perverbial laurels, hoping someone who 'hacks' it out will write about it from the end user community.

It's clear from the PS3 client that participation IS enhanced with ease of use.