Folding WU Limit

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

DieNand
Hardware configuration: Home PC: Ryzen 2700x, Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Work Laptop: i5-8300H, Nvidia GTX 1050

Folding WU Limit

Post by DieNand »

I know when your GPU gets a WU and started working on it you can set it to finish the current WU, but I'm wondering if there's a way to get it to take on a set maximum of WU (e.g. 2) in a night and then stop folding? I don't really feel comfortable leaving my rig on overnight.
Home PC: Ryzen 2700x, Nvidia RTX 2070 Super

"As long as we small gears are linked together, we can keep moving forward, even if it's only one small step at a time." - Kyousuke Natsume
davidcoton

Re: Folding WU Limit

Post by davidcoton »

I don't think that is easily possible. The only option is to stop after the current WU.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

You could configure Windows/Linux task scheduler to send the FAH finish command automatically at x o'clock. So if you want to shutdown your PC at 12 pm and your work units take 2 hours to finish then maybe send the FAH finish command at 9 pm and a PC shutdown command at 12 pm.
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones »

why the concern at leaving your computer on? It should be perfectly safe; worst case your computer heats the room it's in.
single 1070

Razorflame

Post by Razorflame »

And if you live in a cold region, that's bonus heating you get to help reduce your heating bill :P
DieNand

Post by DieNand »

foldy wrote:You could configure Windows/Linux task scheduler to send the FAH finish command automatically at x o'clock. So if you want to shutdown your PC at 12 pm and your work units take 2 hours to finish then maybe send the FAH finish command at 9 pm and a PC shutdown command at 12 pm.
Interesting, I didn't actually think of this will see if this'll work for me.

"As long as we small gears are linked together, we can keep moving forward, even if it's only one small step at a time." - Kyousuke Natsume
DieNand

Post by DieNand »

I'm mostly concerned because the power is frequently out late at night here and I don't like leaving my PC plugged into the wall when I'm out of the house or when I'm asleep. (note: I'm from South Africa, the power grid is not stable)

Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

DieNand wrote:I'm mostly concerned because the power is frequently out late at night here and I don't like leaving my PC plugged into the wall when I'm out of the house or when I'm asleep. (note: I'm from South Africa, the power grid is not stable)
In that case, you could get one of those outlet timers, where it turns power on and off via a timer. They sell those at many aquarium and gardening stores.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

Jesse_V wrote:
DieNand wrote:I'm mostly concerned because the power is frequently out late at night here and I don't like leaving my PC plugged into the wall when I'm out of the house or when I'm asleep. (note: I'm from South Africa, the power grid is not stable)
In that case, you could get one of those outlet timers, where it turns power on and off via a timer. They sell those at many aquarium and gardening stores.
How will that help? Cutting the power by a timer is nearly as bad as by a power outage. The key thing is to arrange an orderly shutdown while the power is still up.
If you shut down while a WU is running, it will be saved and restarted when you start up again (hibernate is better than shutdown, because of quicker resume). You will lose some bonus points but the science still gets done. Just watch the estimated completion time and the deadlines, I think some projects have tighter deadlines now. Post here if that is an issue, it's the sort of feedback the project leaders need.