Overall F@H Stats Graph?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

codysluder

Re: Overall F@H Stats Graph?

Post by codysluder »

Grandpa_01 wrote:Maybe and maybe not right now there is a pretty big push going on between evga and the [H] in the battle for #1 allot of rigs have started up on both sides starting on Sept 1. :wink:
There were some POed folks running BigAdv 8 who went away for a while (just to show they were angry) who are coming back for the competition .
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

When do fall classes start up again? ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
k1wi

Post by k1wi »

Last week
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

That was rhetorical... like asking when the sub $300 Kepler 660 Ti came out? ;)
k1wi

Post by k1wi »

I don't think it is quite as frivolous, after all it was a significant factor in storage@home... (section 3.3. - http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleD ... er=4228400)

There was a 6k increase in participation & 100 extra TFLOPs over move-in week and while I am not going to attribute that to resumption of fall classes or a specific battle between two teams, that increase is in the face of a continuing downward trend.
NickOfTime

Post by NickOfTime »

From the spreadsheet, it looks like Ati cards are dropping fast, I guess it is due to the drivers problems?
mdk777

Post by mdk777 »

I guess it is due to the drivers problems?
That is the presumption. However,I have seen large jumps in numbers (+, -) over the years that are not clearly defined.
Possible causes discussed.

1. Testing by rendering farms,/ institutional donors using GPU/CPU acceleration
2. misplaced, mis-attributed /miscalculated FLOPS
3. server reporting / assigning errors.

However, the above usually resulted in large instantaneous dislocations in the reported FLOPS.

Steady trend like this is indeed most likely just that the client isn't working very well. :wink:
Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!
mdk777

Post by mdk777 »

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/mai ... e=osstats2

Well, that is one way to approach a numbers problem...change the way you count.

Looks like windows up 4x
AMD GPU up 2x

Interesting, the points on AMD WU did not double, nor I have I seen them run any faster, yet now they produce 2x 86 FLOPS where before they did not.

OH well, definitely should have a discontinuity rather than a straight line on the graph. :wink:
Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!
7im

Post by 7im »

Yes, that is the one (and only) way to approach a numbers problem. Fix the problem.

FAHCores and their optimizations in each of the client types have changed many times, and the OS Stats hadn't been updated in a while. V7 probably allows for more accurate collection of that data. Better data, better stats.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

See this new blog post about the new server stats page: http://folding.typepad.com/news/2012/11 ... -page.html It's not quite as depressing as the other one. :)
Are you still using my Java application to pull the stats from the page? If so I'll go modify it to work with http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/mai ... e=osstats2 and the larger table.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
mdk777

Post by mdk777 »

V7 probably allows for more accurate collection of that data. Better data, better stats.
No explanation of doubling AMD GPU stats.

cards, WU, architecture , etc, etc. are unchanged.
For years the NVidia GPU was described as a more efficient architecture that achieved multiples of Native TFLOPS to achieve x86 FLOPS .
AMD cards, (Due to their unoptimized for compute architecture) did not achieve these multiples of the Native TFLOPS.

"Instantly" the entire base of installed clients and legacy hardware has now achieved this upgrade.

I see no explanation for this in the blog post.
GreyWhiskers
Hardware configuration: a) Main unit
Sandybridge in HAF922 w/200 mm side fan
--i7 2600K@4.2 GHz
--ASUS P8P67 DeluxeB3
--4GB ADATA 1600 RAM
--750W Corsair PS
--2Seagate Hyb 750&500 GB--WD Caviar Black 1TB
--EVGA 660GTX-Ti FTW - Signature 2 GPU@ 1241 Boost
--MSI GTX560Ti @900MHz
--Win7Home64; FAH V7.3.2; 327.23 drivers

b) 2004 HP a475c desktop, 1 core Pent 4 HT@3.2 GHz; Mem 2GB;HDD 160 GB;Zotac GT430PCI@900 MHz
WinXP SP3-32 FAH v7.3.6 301.42 drivers - GPU slot only

c) 2005 Toshiba M45-S551 laptop w/2 GB mem, 160GB HDD;Pent M 740 CPU @ 1.73 GHz
WinXP SP3-32 FAH v7.3.6 [Receiving Core A4 work units]
d) 2011 lappy-15.6"-1920x1080;i7-2860QM,2.5;IC Diamond Thermal Compound;GTX 560M 1,536MB u/c@700;16GB-1333MHz RAM;HDD:500GBHyb w/ 4GB SSD;Win7HomePrem64;320.18 drivers FAH 7.4.2ß

Post by GreyWhiskers »

Looking at the numbers in the new table I get the following. It's telling me:
- there are a lot of single core Windows CPUs (or alternatively a lot of Uniprocessor clients) in use
- Both OSX and Linux are running far fewer Uniprocessor clients
- I would have expected the Linux cores/CPU to be even higher - since this is where all of the Bigadv 16 and up core CPUs live. Maybe there are relatively few of these monsters
- I can't wrap my head around why the Windows GFlop/core is so high relative to the others. Is it that the Linux would have very many cores - probably counting HT threads - but there are only half the FPUs than there are cores?

- for the Nvidia GPUs - this makes sense. The GTX560 and higher and the GTX650Ti and higher are rated at over one TFlop raw. (see Wikipedia article on Comparison of Nvidia graphics processing units)
Windows: 1.25 cores/CPU 3.5 GFlop/core

OSX: 3.3 cores/CPU; 1.2 GFlop/core

Linux: 2.9 cores/CPU; 0.9 GFlop/core

Nvidia: 437 GFLOP/unit

ATI: 399 GFLOP/unit
Last edited by GreyWhiskers on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7im

Post by 7im »

mdk777 wrote:
V7 probably allows for more accurate collection of that data. Better data, better stats.
No explanation of doubling AMD GPU stats.

cards, WU, architecture , etc, etc. are unchanged.
For years the NVidia GPU was described as a more efficient architecture that achieved multiples of Native TFLOPS to achieve x86 FLOPS .
AMD cards, (Due to their unoptimized for compute architecture) did not achieve these multiples of the Native TFLOPS.

"Instantly" the entire base of installed clients and legacy hardware has now achieved this upgrade.

I see no explanation for this in the blog post.

You look, but do not see. From the new stats page...
The FLOPS per core was last updated based on a FAH core performance report run on Thr, 30 Aug 2012.
The stats page has always been an estimate, updated from time to time to reflect improvements in folding performance as new fahcores get better at folding. No exact numbers were ever expected from this page, and people should update their understanding of these numbers accordingly.
Risme
Hardware configuration: Enclosure:Antec P180
PSU: Seasonic S12 430W
Motherboard: Asus P5B Deluxe
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.13Ghz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 7600GT with Forceware 94.24 drivers
Memory: G.Skill F2-6400CL4D-2GBHK @ 800Mhz 4-4-3-5 2.1V
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-U12F
Enclosure cooling: 3 casefans + Noctua NF-S12 1200 on front panel

Post by Risme »

Hi everyone, i created a new spreadsheet since the calculation method has changed, however i didn't include PS3 since it's EOL. Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... nJnUS1CdVE

Warmest regards,

Risto Kantonen
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

Risme wrote:Hi everyone, i created a new spreadsheet since the calculation method has changed, however i didn't include PS3 since it's EOL. Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... nJnUS1CdVE

Warmest regards,

Risto Kantonen
Thanks Risto, but I was thinking we could modify the existing spreadsheet to hold the new information. This isn't unlike 2009 when they started reporting x86 FLOPS in addition to native. Now they're reporting CPU cores in addition to physical CPUs. As before, we could just add another column ("CPU cores") which contains no values before today. Personally, I think the CPU cores value is more important than the regular CPU number, so we could consider merging the two and just switching over. Just two ideas.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.