folding eletricity

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Re: folding eletricity

Post by Nathan_P »

beer wrote:Hi
I am not sure I am putting this in the right section of message board. Sorry if it has eneded in the wrong place. And osrry for my bad english since it is not my native language.

Since folding@home consume large amount of eletrcity that is produced by Oil and coal that is producing CO2 that again can curse some form of cancer and other problems it feels like I am swining a double edge sword.

Therefore I will hear what you people are during about how you electricity is produced.

My working place has a small biogass reactor that produce nearly all our electricity and heat and I am in proces of switcing to a company that clamins that all the power they sell is produced by win mills (vindstoed.dk).

What else can one do to get green energy for folding and what are you during?
We have an energy from waste plant where i live that produces 6% of our electricity needs, the rest is imported tidal or nuclear energy from France. We only use oil when the link to France is down and we need to produce our own.

Personally i am thinking of looking at a solar panel install in a couple of years time
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

We've had long discussions on this before. Hopefully a mod will merge this with the existing topic so you can read all of the previous anawers. ;)

For me, the green options were limited. So initially, I worked to reduce my electricity in other ways at least the same amount as used to fold. CFLs, more insulation, water heater blanket, even turning off lights at work to offset the power used at home. That way folding was only a single edged sword. :)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Jorge1950

Post by Jorge1950 »

Practical actions taken by 7im; both at home and at work.

On a personal level, spending on electricity FAH, cover it with having left the smoking! :ewink:

In any case, I live in a place where we produce as 90% of energy by renewable means; Costa Rica. We are a company that produces hydroelectric, wind, solar and thermal plants. And several projects are currently under construction.
Sorry for the translation. This aspect, obliges me to very short and concrete sentences. Little by little he will go forward, also in this field.
Thank you for your understanding. Jorge Barrientos
jrweiss
Hardware configuration: Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; 32GB G-Skill Trident DDR4-3200; Samsung 860EVO 1TB Boot SSD; VelociRaptor 1TB; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver; BeQuiet FM 550 PSU; Lian Li PC-9F; Win11Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

[Suspended] Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI X570MPG, 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600; Corsair MP600 M.2 PCIe Gen4 Boot, Samsung 840EVO-250 SSDs; VelociRaptor 1TB, Raptor 150; MSI GTX 1050ti, 526.98 driver; Kingwin Stryker 500 PSU; Lian Li PC-K7B. Win10Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

Post by jrweiss »

Most of my electricity is from hydroelectric, so not a big CO2 footprint here. Not sure that CO2 reduction can have any material effect on the environment, in the amounts we are willing to do it, in any case... The ONLY way we can make a material reduction is to significantly reduce the population. For that, I've done my part by not having any children.

Still, I spend lots of $$ for new CFL and LED lights, 98% efficient gas furnace, etc. My Folding helps heat the office in the winter, and there's no air conditioning to overcome...
Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver
Ryzen 7 3700X; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver [Suspended]
dreiter

Post by dreiter »

I think a good idea would be to 'retire' old folding machines, AKA ones that have a low GFLOPS/watt ratio. I had a 1.9 GHz Athlon XP running folding, but I gave it up because the points weren't worth the power draw....
k1wi

Post by k1wi »

It's an interesting concept. 7im's advice is on to it - do whatever you can to drop your consumption elsewhere. That means become more energy efficient and consuming less. A nasty secret about energy efficiency is the Jevons paradox, that when something (i.e. lighting) becomes more efficient, humans end up consuming over and above the efficiency gains, so the actual result is a net increase in consumption.

The other dirty secret is that a lot of 'green' tech is still relatively expensive carbon-wise, largely due to the higher consumption of resources such as rare earth minerals during the manufacturing offsetting any improvements in operational consumption.

That said, I live in an area where there is significant wind opportunities. It's actually normally a case of too much wind here. For years I have toyed with using a small wind turbine to power a DC power network but the cost is still too high.

With increasing numbers of utilities moving towards dynamic pricing, it would be great for there to be a tool that integrates F@H with power prices, shutting it down when prices (a proxy for demand) get too high. I believe you can do it with windows task scheduler, but a scheduler built into F@H is going to become increasingly beneficial.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

I've seen several different discussions on Folding@home's energy consumption. One example is on the F@h article on Wikipedia, where a section was created in 2008 about the energy consumption and environmental impact of this project. It wasn't really appropriate for Wikipedia due to its inherit original research, synthesis of a conclusion, and general lack of supportive references, so I eventually was convinced to remove it. Here are two forms of it: here and here. There's also a paragraph in the last page of F@h's Executive Summary paper, which is available here but I think that information is a bit dated I'm afraid.

F@h aims to cure diseases. What's the electrical draw of hospitals for cancer/Alzheimer's/Parkinson's/virus patients? What's the electrical draw of MRI machines or other imaging technologies that are used to look for tumors? How about the consumption of the places that make chemotherapy drugs? Let's look at the other side of things for a bit.

F@h's overall energy consumption (and environmental impact if you want to take things one step further) I believe is an extremely difficult thing to accurately estimate. There are many, many factors involved.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
SASinUtah

Post by SASinUtah »

The vast majority of my electricity is coal produced; some is gas turbine generated. Wind power generated in Utah all goes to California; wind power for Utah consumption (have to pay extra) is generated in Idaho; go figure.

The problem we have in the United States, as I see it, is the most cost effecient fuel for electricity production is coal; so to me, to counterbalance our research contributions, we need to minimize our electricity consumption in other areas. For our family, this means LED and florecent lights, short showers, lots of house insulation, attic fan pulling cool air out of basement through the house (minimizes A/C use), lower watt cpu (right now, 75 versus original 88 in desktop; 25 watt laptop), got rid of a 170 watt CRT TV and have an 42" plasma that uses 85 watts.
Napoleon
Hardware configuration: Atom330 (overclocked):
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Intel Atom330 dualcore (4 HyperThreads)
NVidia GT430, core_15 work
2x2GB Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G 1333MHz memory kit
Asus AT3IONT-I Deluxe motherboard

Post by Napoleon »

Fine tuning an OC (or underclock) for best PPD/W is one way to go green, too. Paragon's AMD Phenom X6 PPD Efficiency Achieved through Undervolt topic sets a nice example. :mrgreen:
Win7 64bit, FAH v7, OC'd
2C/4T Atom330 3x667MHz - GT430 2x832.5MHz - ION iGPU 3x466.7MHz
NaCl - Core_15 - display
k1wi

Post by k1wi »

Napoleon wrote:Fine tuning an OC (or underclock) for best PPD/W is one way to go green, too.
And one of the most challenging too!
Napoleon
Hardware configuration: Atom330 (overclocked):
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Intel Atom330 dualcore (4 HyperThreads)
NVidia GT430, core_15 work
2x2GB Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G 1333MHz memory kit
Asus AT3IONT-I Deluxe motherboard

Post by Napoleon »

Agreed. As Paragon mentioned, finding a stable undervolt takes a lot of stability testing. But same goes for an extreme overclock as well. So, if you're bumping the voltages to wring every last PPD out of your folding rig(s), checking where you're going with PPD/W is worth considering. I keep a Kill-a-Watt handy whenever I dabble with overclocking, I've found it a great way to keep the OC within reason. :D
Win7 64bit, FAH v7, OC'd
2C/4T Atom330 3x667MHz - GT430 2x832.5MHz - ION iGPU 3x466.7MHz
NaCl - Core_15 - display