Please help with FAH configuration

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

CES

Please help with FAH configuration

Post by CES »

I have loaded FAH and it consums 47%-51% of my CPU while I am attempting to work. This is interferring with me getting MY work done.
I am on a Dual Processor Dual Core Intel machine with 2GR, 2.3TB HD and I do need ot get my work done. Is there a way to configure FAH to only run when I am not using my PC?

I had to kill the FAHCore_11.exe to let a single task complete. If there is no controlling the product, I will have to remove it.

Please help! FaHCore_11.exe can not execute while I am using the PC.
brainvision
Hardware configuration: - HAL9008
-- INTEL Core i7-7700K @4200MHz
-- MSI nVidia GTX 1050 Ti
-- RAM 16GB DDR4 3200MHz (TeamGroup)

- HAL9009
-- AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor, 3200 MHz
-- GIGABYTE GeForce GT 740 OC 2GB
-- RAM 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz (2 GB x 4)

Re: Please help with FAH configuration

Post by brainvision »

sorry but you have to give more details about your configuration if you want that somebody will try to help you solving your problem..
anyway, generally FAH works using 100% of your CPUs but it has the lowest nice possible (nice means the priority of the project, just in few words and being not very precise; it's just to give you an idea): so if you are working with gimp or if you are editing videos, FAH will decrease his priority and you would have not problem at all! This is generally speaking, but it is true for the all FAH client! So if this doesn't worl for you, it's quite for sure a problem of yours..
what's that?
CES wrote:Dual Processor Dual Core Intel machine with 2GR
Did you mean 2 GB? How many CPU it has? What setup did you choose for your client and what kind of folding did you use?

Mod Edit: Changed Code Tags To Quote Tags - PantherX
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum CES,

Please post the FAHlog (viewtopic.php?f=61&t=16206#p160884) so we can get more information to help you troubleshoot. From the sketchy information above, my guess is that you have a Dual Core CPU and are folding on the GPU. The GPU might be an ATI/AMD one since you report that it is using ~50% of the CPU and you have seen FahCore_11 in the Task Manager.

Please note that folding on the GPU may cause lagging on the desktop and the simplest way to avoid it is to pause the Client when you are working on the system. The method of pausing the Client varies with the version installed:
v6 Systray Client -> Right click the icon in the notification tray and select pause
v6 Console Client -> You can't pause it, you have to Ctrl+C the console window to terminate it.
V7 Beta -> Click the pause button in FAHControl.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
bruce

Post by bruce »

Without seeing the log, we can only speculate. It should be noted that the symptom that you describe (using 47%-51% of my CPU) is not an accurate description of the problem. Folding on you CPU (with either the uniprocessor or SMP client) can use 100% of the CPU without interfering with you getting your work done. The interference you have noted is directly related to using the GPU to fold.
CES

Post by CES »

brainvision wrote:sorry but you have to give more details about your configuration if you want that somebody will try to help you solving your problem..anyway
Mod Edit: Changed Code Tags To Quote Tags - PantherX
Dual Processor Dual Core Intel machine with 2GB RAM
How many CPU it has? - You mean "How many CPU's does it have", Two and they are DUAL Core each.
What setup did you choose for your client and what kind of folding did you use? - Ah, I'm not sure what you are asking here, so I'll just run at the fingers. I do apologize as I was in a huff when I reported the "Need Help" and right now, I am just off my normal job so I can wind down before starting my private job. As for the folding, GPU, ATI Radeon HD 4800 with PCI Express 2.0 x16 max bus speed with 512MB GDDR3 memory clocked at 625MHz and about 63GB/s max transfer speed.

I have a dual processor Intel Windows 7 machine with 2BG RAM (I can't get the MB to boot on 4G RAM). I have one GPU and the "nice" (that is the priority) of the fah exe is set to "Low". That being said, it consumes one processor to 100% when I am on my machine. When I am doing normal user stufflike email or web browsing, FAH can have as much processor as it likes but when I am "At Work" on my PC I really need FAH to stop and leave things alone. I have looked in the install folder and I do not see a means to configure FAH at all.

So, I need to know how to turn FAH off when I need my machine and then have it start back up when the screen saver starts up.

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays.